jueves, 10 de junio de 2010

... and we´re back

The internet in Bolivia took me back to that ´90s pastime of growing glossy eyed in front of the computer while a webpage loads. But I crossed the border into Argentina so I can get back to blogging. Here are two updates I've been meaning to post for a while now

Things I do differently here

The interesting thing about traveling is that certain things that I´d never do at home become quick habits. For one, I´m speaking Spanish a lot, and occasionally thinking in Spanish too. Today I did yoga in Spanish. I also drink a ton of fresh squeezed orange juice because it´s cheap and abundant. This is where the list of objectively positive things ends. I´m consuming a ridiculous amount of meat, potatoes, and rice - usually all three in one meal. I´m also eating a ton of sweets - chocolates, candy, but mostly cheap packaged cookies that are essential on a long bus ride. I´m catching up on shitty American sitcoms from the last 10 years whenever a TV is around. All of this I do with relish.

Cast of characters

One of my favorite parts of being a backpacker is meeting other backpackers, so I wanted to give you a taste of a few people I've spent time with along the way.
- A 29 year old Japanese man who's been traveling around the world for the past 3 years. He's heading back to Japan next month to get married to a girl he met in Ecuador and knocked up in Rio
- A British couple fresh out of college who are taking a year to travel around the world. Unlike a lot of other British kids here, they were unabashed about having money at their disposal
- An American kid who took a year off from med school in Boston to volunteer at an NGO in Nicaragua
- A lot of Irish couples traveling for a year or two because the economy's bad
- A lot of Australians traveling for a year or two because everyone does it
- A lot of Israelis fresh out of the army doing the Israeli circuit
- For the past two weeks, I've been traveling with an American girl from New York and California who'd been working at Google in London before decisively quitting and taking off to travel. She's doing a Kiva fellowship in Asia starting in July. We have a lot to talk about. And if you want to learn about what I've been eating recently, check out her food blog here.

I will update you on my itinerary soon, I promise! All I can say right now is that my happiness levels have been spiking lately. I'm recently arrived in Buenos Aires, and I'm going out to explore.

Much love
M

1 comentario: